Thank You for Joining the Blog.

I would love to hear your thoughts. Who knows; maybe your comments will one day appear in a book (with your permission of course).

Please share your thoughts: how you use your life's lessons, your creativity and spirituality to navigate life.

Your definitions, experiences, general thoughts are respectfully requested.

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Snow and Gratitude

Over 80% of the country was dealing with snow over these past 24 hours. A very rare occurrence. We, in southwestern CT had anywhere from 1 to over 2 feet in 14 hours. Mother Nature always delivers equally, so I am expecting a whopper of a winter since many of the last winters were tame.

I have always loved the idea of being "snowed in." It forces us to take time off and it looks beautiful outside too! When the kids were small, I didn't have to get to a job. School would be cancelled and we would have crazy food day: a little ice cream for breakfast, fruit and yogurt for lunch and pancakes and eggs for dinner. Actually, since the boys were so young, it was more like a marathon of eating all day long!

Later, the stress of getting to work made me practically ill. I became fearful of driving in hazardous conditions, ever since witnessing a horrific, fatal accident during a whiteout. I had the choice of getting into work or taking a vacation day. So, off I would go, fearful for my safety, wary that I still had 2 children counting on me (this is mostly what I was afraid of).

Now, while I am unemployed, I am at least grateful that I didn't have to take life in hand to go anywhere today. What I have learned since then is that nothing trumps safety. I pause however, to acknowledge with much gratitude, those who have chosen careers that protect our safety. Thank you to our firefighters, police, EMT's, doctors, nurses and other health professionals, who DO risk their own safety to take care of others.

May God bless you and keep you in his care.

No comments:

Post a Comment